Monday, March 24, 2014

Geek Unveiled! Alternative Easter Eggs

I am a pretty big geek, I'll admit and I am a pretty big gamer, mostly computer games but every now and then a ps3 or 3ds gamer. I thought my geeky gamer side would be great to add to my blog, so I thought I'd start out with what to me is the geekiest game ever: World of Warcraft. (That's right, a post about WoW). I started playing WoW when I was maybe twelve years old, both of my parents play it (obsessively), we all play together; it's been a huge part of my life.

Source
 For those who don't know, World of Warcraft is a Massively Mulitplayer Online Role-Playing game, (aka an mmorpg), where you create a character on either the alliance, ruled by a king, or the horde, ruled by a warchief and you quest and level and become a hero of your faction. The storyline of the game is fairly complex because of the expansion packs that have come out. There are currently four expansion packs, the fifth one (Warlords of Draenor) is coming out supposedly sometime this year. The great thing about WoW is that there are so many different things you can do so it helps stave off boredom; you can quest, fight against other players in pvp, do pokemon like pet battles or sit on a dock and fish. And that isn't even touching a lot of end game content. 

Source

Of course, my favorite thing about World of Warcraft are the Easter eggs. These are a little pop-culture references in the game who don't really serve a function beyond making you go "Hey, look at that." So here are six alternative-y Easter eggs that I know about in WoW. (It was going to be five, but I remembered another and had to add it) *some of them are a stretch to alternative.

Siouxsie and the Banshees:
  • My favorite Easter Egg-- there is a NPC in Acherus named Siouxsie the Banshee, which is the most obvious reference possible. This of course was added in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. 
  • There is also a NPC named Tsu'zee in Dire Maul. She is flanked by two banshees. This is a much older reference, it's not nearly as blatant but it does get the point across. 
  • There is a quest in Silverpine Forest called "Cities in Dust" which references the Siouxsie and the Banshees song. 
Emilie Autumn:
  • There is a NPC named Emil Autumn in the Howling Fjord, he is an enchanting trainer, which could be a reference to her album, Enchant.
Bauhaus:
  • There is a NPC in Undercity named Royal Overseer Bauhaus (of the Undercity Census Bureau) which may be named after the band. It could also be a reference to the German Staatliches Bauhaus school of architecture and art, so I put it in tentatively. However, when I first saw it I thought of the band, so I'm still putting it into my list.
Alice in Wonderland:
  • In Kun-Lai Summit there is a tuskarr named Wally and a hozen named Tic Tak the Carpenter. When you talk to Wally he says "The time has come, my little friend, to talk of other things" this is obviously a reference to the walrus and the carpenter. 
  • On top of a mushroom in Zangermarsh is a hookah and a skeleton, I'm not sure why the skeleton is there, but the hookah is a reference to the caterpillar.  
Dracula:
  • The NPC guild master in Undercity is named Christopher Drakul, which is possibly a reference to Christopher Lee and his role as Dracula. It wouldn't be a stretch, WoW likes to mix character names and actors names together, for example, there is a character named Harrison Jones, who has a quest line that is basically an Indiana Jones movie.  
Sweeney Todd:
  • There is a traveling salesman who wanders around Elwynn Forest and Darkshire named Antonio Perelli, which references the hair elixir salesman in Sweeney Todd the musical.
  • The goblin who runs the barber in Stormwind was originally named "Sween Neetod." His name is now Jelinek Sharpshear, but you can still see skeletons under a floorboard on the second story of the shop, right under a shaving razor. 
So that's all for this post, I had so much fun writing it. A year ago, I would've been too embarrassed to even admit that I played WoW (highschool, you know), let alone do a post on it, so it's an interesting post for me. Thank you so much for reading, I hope you have a wonderful day. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment